10th Congress of the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks)
The Congress was attended by 694 voting delegates and 296 non-voting delegates.
The Agenda consisted of:
- Report of the Central Committee;
- Report of the Control Commission;
- The trade unions' economic role;
- The Socialist Republic in a capitalist encirclement foreign trade, concessions, etc.;
- Food supply, surplus-food appropriation, tax in kind and fuel crisis,
- Problems of Party organisation;
- The Party's current tasks in the nationalities question;
- Reorganisation of the army and the militia question;
- The Chief Administration for Political Education and the Party's propaganda and agitation work;
- Report of the R.C.P.'s representative in the Comintern, and its current tasks;
- Report of the R.C.P.'s representatives in the International Trade Union Council;
- Elections to the Central Committee, the Control Commission and the Auditing Commission.
Major decisions included:
- A ban on internal factions in the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) (Resolution No. 12: "On Party Unity"). These factions included Workers' Opposition (who supported syndicalism), and Democratic Centralists, who wanted more Soviet autonomy.
- The New Economic Policy was decided. Foreign trade, banks and heavy industry would stay in state hands, the rest was privatized.
- After Trotsky's closed session report on the difficulties quelling the Kronstadt rebellion, over a quarter of the delegates (300) volunteered for the cause, led by the opposition parties eager to prove their loyalty
The result of the debate on the trade unions was a rejection by the congress of the views of Trotsky, who was supported by the 9th Secretariat, the Workers' Opposition and the Democratic Centralists. The resolution On the Role and Tasks of the Trade Unions, which incorporated Lenin's definition of the role of the trade unions as educational organizations and schools of administration, economic management, and communism, was adopted by a majority vote.
- Lenin, Vladimir. "Tenth Congress of the R.C.P.(B.)". Lenin's Collected Works, 1st English Edition, Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1965, Volume 32, pages 165-271. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- On Party Unity 16 March 1921; Soviet History Archive (marxists.org) 2002
- Avrich, Paul (1970). Kronstadt, 1921. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. pp. 194–195. ISBN 0-691-08721-0. OCLC 67322.
- On the Role and Tasks of Trade Unions [Abridged]; 16 March 1921; Soviet History Archive (marxists.org) 2002.
- Tenth Congress of the Russian Communist Party (Bolshevik) The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979).
Media related to 10th Congress of the Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) at Wikimedia Commons
- Speeches by V. I. Lenin at the Tenth Congress of the R.C.P.(B.), Collected Works, 1st English Edition, Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1965, Volume 32, pages 165-271
|This Soviet Union–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Russian history–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|