Übach seen from the church
|• Mayor||Wolfgang Jungnitsch (CDU)|
|• Total||26.11 km2 (10.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||110 m (360 ft)|
|• Density||920/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
02404 (Parts of Boschelns)
The town is located at the border with the Netherlands, at approx. 10 km east of Heerlen and 15 km north of Aachen. The river Wurm flows through the area. The town has an area of 26.106 km². More than half the area is agricultural.
- 867 the village Palenberg was first mentioned in a written document, 1172 the village Übach. 1794 three Bürgermeistereien were created - Übach, Scherpenseel, Frelenberg - which were merged into one municipality in 1935. 1967 it received town rights.
- 1917 coal mining was started in the town, until in 1962 the Carolus Magnus coal-mine was closed.
Coat of armsEdit
The coat of arms of the town is subdivided into three fields. In the top blue field are two crossed golden scepter with a lily head, with a black letter T on top. Both symbols refer to the Grundherrschaft Thorn. In the left golden field is a black lion, the symbol of Jülich, as both Frelenberg and Palenberg belonged to the county Jülich. To the right is a silver lion on a red field, the symbol of Heinsberg, where Scherpenseel belonged to historically. The coat of arms were granted on December 2, 1937 by the Oberpräsident of the province Rhineland.
In addition to international companies such as SLV, Neuman & Esser, Schlafhorst or Spanset the company Solent GmbH & Co. KG produces chocolate, nuts and dried fruit for various brands in Übach-Palenberg since 2010. The sister company Bonback GmbH & Co. KG produces at the same location as a wholesale bakery.
- Official website (in German)